Sunday 3 February 2013

BOOK BURNING?


Or to be more accurate, book clearing. What to do with all those books with yellowing pages,years out of date,that have somehow crept on to the bookshelves. None, alas, are First Editions, rare volumes or sought after authors. And what do I want with Advanced Accounts (1952) or Pelmanism (in six volumes)?
Most of them would be rejected by Charity shops,even the most desperate, because while they would take up shelf space, they wouldn't bring in cash.
All suggestions welcome!

And on another topic, Gwen Kirkwood (www.gwenkirkwood.co.uk)  has kindly given a Blogger's Award to me on the understanding I provide some pieces of information about myself that you might not know.

I was born in a castle
I can't ride a bike
I've never eaten any kind of shellfish (and don't intend to)
I became an Indie author entirely by accident (more of that in another blog).
I've never learned to swim (though there is a photo of me somewhere making a brave attempt.)
Apart from writing, my main interest is family history

Thank you,Gwen!


11 comments:

  1. Astonishingly, your revelations could be those of my wife, except that she loves lobsters and oysters, isn't a writer and wasn't born in a castle. Two out of six isn't bad, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intigued to know which Castle Myra. It wasn't Rothsay, was it?
    You have done well to learn to swim. I am petrified of being underwater.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't go a bike very well either, tend to fall off at the corners. Nor can I swim, despite loving baths and being in the water! And I think we demand to know which castle and why you were born there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly, I am not of royal blood! Lennox Castle in Stirlingshire was a hospital during the last war - and one part was a maternity hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same problem with getting rid of books, Myra (or trying to!) - I stand and stare at them then walk away again. Fascinating facts about you - have to say I love both cycling and swimming, although I'm not often on a bike now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I share your difficulty with getting rid of books, Myra. It's always something I'll leave till timorrow. I've heard inability to swim described as 'negative buoyancy', which gives it a certain cachet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep the books! As someone once wrote (something like) books plot your journey through life, even the ones you didn't like/won't ever read/inherited or whatever. They all MEAN something. Otherwise you woudln't have them in the first place! (I too hoard books, and that's my excuse. We just keep on acquiring more bookshelves...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh,dear,now I'm swithering about what to do! Perhaps there is space in the shed?

    ReplyDelete
  9. No room in the shed, I'm afraid, all my books are in there....!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You could always try donating to Abbey Books in Paisley?(on Well Street) It's a second hand book shop and lots of yellowed pages in collections there! Really interesting facts - particularly the one about being born in a Castle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for that information,Vikki!It's great if they can go to a good home.

    ReplyDelete